Friday, July 25, 2008

Well, I'm blogging

We've been in West Newton about a month now, and almost all of our socialization has been with people over the age of 70. We're getting kinda lonely, especially Lisa since she's sitting at home all day while I actually go to work. We finally have internet at the house, so things are a little better now that we can somewhat connect with the outside world.

The town is nice -- reminds me of Ada. We can walk almost everywhere. I take a 5 minute walk to work every day, and walk home for lunch.

Our house is huge. It has a walk-in, semi-finished attic. Today I'm going to do some work up there to make it a game room. Darts, video games, maybe a couch eventually...

I've found that ordained ministry is sometimes hard, sometimes easy, and always interesting. I'm definitely enjoying it most days. This week I'll be throwing my congregation for a loop by using Bob Dylan lyrics for the call to worship. I've already used John Wesley and poet George Herbert for calls to worship, and I'm trying to find interesting and new ways to do the call to worship and opening prayer. I've added a worship notes section in the bulletin so people actually know where these things are coming from. I think my church worships a certain way because they always have and it's the "traditional" UM service, but most of them don't seem to really think about why they do what they do. I'm hoping to change that over the coming months and hopefully years.

The Steelers report to training camp Sunday, and someone in my church has a grandson who works there. Apparently, he might be able to get us family passes, which means we could actually stand on the sidelines as they practice. See, this is why I moved back up here -- so I could serve churches where people really "get" me. They understand that Lisa and I love the Steelers, and they find it rather normal because they all have season tickets.

Sorry this post is all over the place; I feel like there's a lot of updating to do in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment