Monday, August 11, 2008

There's No Place Like Home

Although I had never visited West Newton until a few months ago, today made me feel completely at home again. Western PA is home for me, and I doubt I'll ever find a place to live that I love as much as I love this region. I realized this today as I woke up to a crisp, 57 degree morning and had to grab a long sleeved shirt to wear on my walk to work. It was a wonderfully cool morning, and an absolutely gorgeous day (72 as the high!). Sure, it'll get frigid in the winter, you say, but I love that weather too.

I also realized I like being in this region when I showed up for our worship committee meeting. One of the older members of our church, the woman people call "the church's angel", was the first one there after me. Picture the woman with the Swedish Meatballs in the Wedding Singer. That's her. Anyway, I kid you not, the first words out of her mouth are, "Well, I guess the Steelers got themselves a backup QB now that Charlie Batch is hurt." And we had a 5 minute conversation about how the Steelers had signed Byron Leftwich as their backup, and what that meant for the other backup QBs. Here I am, having a deep, knowledgeable conversation about backup quarterbacks with a 90 pound woman who spends most of her time growing enormous zucchini and writing encouraging notes to church members. And it seemed perfectly normal.

Looking at September's schedule today, I noticed that when school starts in the fall things are going to get crazy. I don't think I'll be looking for things to do as I was the last couple of weeks. September will be an insanely busy month, so I guess it's good that I'll be getting 2 straight weeks off of preaching on 8/31 (Hymn Sing) and 9/7 (Out-of-Town).

Phelps just won gold # 3. This guy is incredible. And he's still 4 years away from his athletic prime. Unreal.

No comments:

Post a Comment