Saturday, August 15, 2009

Flipping the Switch

Despite another losing record, this Pirates baseball season has been one of the most exciting ones in years. I accepted the inevitable losing record before it began, and I've had fun watching the young pups develop (or not -- I'm looking at you, Moss).

That being said, I have now flipped my internal switch from the "baseball season" position to the "football season" position. It began with my attendance at the Steelers' first preseason game, where they looked incredibly competent from the starters all the way down to the guys who will be cut 3 weeks from now. It was completed by the 14 runs the Cubs scored on the Bucs by the end of the 2nd inning yesterday. A humiliating 17-2 loss will do that to a man. Even our normally emotionless manager shot off a sarcastic response to a Chicago reporter's dumb question, so you know it's bad.

I didn't mean to flip the switch. It just happened. It's officially football season in my mind. If the weather would just drop to about 55 degrees, the stage would really be set for gridiron battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment