Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Mr. Winter is not a benevolent deity

Our power went out again yesterday afternoon, just before the new storm arrived. I escaped just in time, plodding along snowy roads at 25 mph all the way to my parents' house. Lisa met me there after work, and we became "homeless" freeloaders once again. Our house got power back last night, but we still haven't made it back.

Lisa went to work today in our Subaru, so I'm still stuck at my parents' house with our Corolla. The way the roads are, I won't make it back in that little front-wheel drive car. There's too many gigantic hills between here and there that it surely will not climb, no matter how much it thinks it can.

It's a good thing I brought my laptop with me, and a really good thing my dad is also a pastor, so I can borrow his resources and at least get some work done. Meanwhile, we're making up our plan as we go from hour to hour, constantly monitoring weather reports and road conditions. This is the worst storm I've ever lived through, and it is absolutely, certifiably crazy. I'm someone who lives almost completely by routines and rituals, so all this is really a challenge for me. Normally I love winter and snow, but right now I'm not excited about all the interruptions and the plans going awry. Still, thanks be to God that for us, it's merely been a week of inconvenience. It seems like most people are getting by just fine as well...for now. There's no telling what the next hour, day, or week will bring.

1 comment: