Thursday, November 11, 2010

Remembering My Baptism


Yesterday, I visited the church where I was baptized for the first time since I was 2 years old. Although I spent my first 2 years at Crafton UMC, this was the first time I recall being in the building. As I was there, the words echoed through the sanctuary: Remember your baptism and be thankful.

I've heard those words before, but yesterday, those words had new meaning. Now, when I thankfully remember my baptism, I am able to picture the physical location, whereas previously I could not. It's a significant moment in my spiritual journey that has more life to it than it did 2 days ago.

Now, I think back to the Crafton UMC congregation of 1983, celebrating the baptism of an infant named Erik Andrew, son of Tom and Connie Hoeke, promising to help raise this child in the Christian faith. I doubt back then they thought they were baptizing a future United Methodist pastor, or that they would not see that child grow up beyond age 2. Surely, other churches have had a more memorable role in my spiritual life. But Crafton UMC will always hold a special place in my heart. I will always be thankful of this community of believers and the commitment they made on behalf of the church universal when I remember my baptism.

No comments:

Post a Comment