Monday, August 1, 2011

Chautauqua, Death, and a Skydiving Cat

Last week was a week I won't soon forget.  The plan was to spend the whole week at Chautauqua Institution in NY.  I'd been accepted into a program run by the religion department there called the New Clergy Leadership Conference.  It consists of clergy from many faith traditions spending a week, discussing relevant issues pertaining to leadership in ministry, as well as participating in what people commonly call "the Chautauqua experience."

But, as often happens in ordained ministry, there was a death in our congregation and I returned home for two days mid-week to tend to the family and lead the funeral service.  While home, I also spent time tending to one of our two cats, who fell out of a 2nd floor window in our home and broke his paw.  Needless to say, I got very little sleep.

Since things were so hectic, I didn't get a chance to do what I had hoped: to blog about the Chautauqua new clergy program while I was experiencing it.  But over the next couple of weeks, I plan to share some reflections in this space about my week at Chautauqua and the ways it enriched me.  So check back for several installments in the days ahead, pray for the grieving family in our congregation, and if you have cats, don't let them lean up against the window screens!

No comments:

Post a Comment