Tuesday, September 1, 2015

The Pride of a Pirates Fan

Today, I attended the Pittsburgh Pirates Season Ticket Members Field Day at PNC Park. For almost 2 hours, I and my friend Dan were given the opportunity to play catch, take batting practice, and field fly balls on the field of PNC Park. This is my 3rd time taking someone to this experience, and I continue to be amazed that a Major League Baseball organization allows its fans to take part in such an event. It prompted me to write a letter to the organization, through my account representative. Below is my letter.


To Whom It May Concern:

As a long-time Season Ticket Member of the Pittsburgh Pirates, I want to take a moment to thank you for being such a great organization. I recently returned from the Season Ticket Member Field Days at PNC Park, my third time experiencing that benefit. The Field Days are truly a unique experience, and every person I have taken with me has remarked how lucky they feel to have this opportunity.

I always expected and practically demanded these experiences when the major league team was not successful every year. And as the on-field success increased year after year, you could have reduced or eliminated perks for Season Ticket Members and been completely justified in doing so. Instead, you have shown continued commitment and loyalty to the fans not only in these experiences, but with top-notch customer service, ticket exchanges, and placing our names on the outfield wall.

Thank you for everything you do for the fans, particularly the Season Ticket Members. I remember a time not too long ago where being a fan and Season Ticket Member of the Pirates brought me ridicule and jokes at my expense, even in my own city. Today, I can proudly say that I am a life-long fan of the best organization in Major League Baseball. I don’t see other playoff-contending teams letting their fans take batting practice and play catch on the field. Once again, you have shown that the Pittsburgh Pirates are in a class all by themselves both on and off the field.

With sincere gratitude,


Erik Hoeke

1 comment: