Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Christmas!

As I sit in my office this Christmas Eve morning, I just want to burst out in song. I am about to lead my first Christmas Eve Service, and I approach this evening with a sense of wonder and excitement "like a kid at Christmas." I love my job. I love that I get to do this. Maybe I'm just too naive to know that I'm supposed to be "just waiting for this wretched busy season to end," as some pastors I know have said. But maybe, just maybe, Christmas is awesome -- I mean, really full of awe.

I've spent very little time recently actually blogging about our life, and that's partially because Lisa and I lead a mostly quiet, boring life. Last night, we talked about how we're glad that we're no longer the crazy, too-busy, stressed out beyond belief members of our family. Sure, we're busy, but we aren't too stressed. So we approach this holiday season with a sense of relaxation and anticipation, ready to fully soak in every moment of the next few weeks. We are glad to share this time with our congregation, with the people of West Newton, with both our families, and with friends we don't see very often.

However, our thoughts have drifted in recent days to those we won't see this Christmas. We think of Wayne and Fern Albertson in quiet Ada, OH. We think of all the pastors we know who are facing transitions at the first of the year. We think of all those who sent us Christmas cards, cards that are posted on the doorway to our dining room so every day we can think of those who love us. We think of our friends in Georgia, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Mississippi, Oregon, Washington, North Carolina, New Hampshire, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, and Texas who we won't see this Christmas. We think of family in Pennsylvania, Florida, Virginia, Arizona, and Switzerland that we won't see this Christmas. We think of those who will spend this Christmas alone, or without a roof over their head, or without a Christmas dinner to overeat. We pray that God might be with all of these people, and let them know that somewhere, in some sleepy little town on the banks of the Youghiogheny River, there are people who are praying for them.

Tonight, the Christmas Eve Service! Our church is all set up and ready to go. Lisa's parents, aunt and uncle, and grandmother will be here, and are staying for dessert afterwards. Tomorrow, we spend our first Christmas as a married couple alone in the comfort of our home. Then we will travel about 30 minutes to see my parents, sister, and her fiance for the afternoon and evening. Friday we'll be with family on my mother's side. Saturday Lisa will be bridesmaids' dress shopping with her sister, Karen, who is getting married in July. I will spend time with my friend Dan. Sunday and Monday, we will celebrate Christmas at our house with most of Lisa's family. On Tuesday, Lisa and I will leave after work for Raleigh, NC, to see her sister, brother-in-law, and nephew who will not be in PA for Christmas. We'll spend New Year's with them and return home on Jan. 3 so I can preach on Jan. 4. While in Raleigh, on New Year's Eve we're going to the NC State basketball game to see Ben McCauley, the senior starting center. Ben is a member of our church, and I've only met him once, but we thought since we're in Raleigh anyway, we might as well go and support him and his team. Being the sports fans that we are, we're pretty excited about it.

Well, that about does it. I better continue preparing for tonight. Have a wonderful and blessed Christmas! Joy to the World!

No comments:

Post a Comment