Tuesday, February 10, 2009

150K

This afternoon, at 12:32 pm EST, on PA Route 136 just south of Madison PA, my car traveled its 150,000th mile. The car, my 1999 blue Nissan Maxima, began as a demo model at John Sisson Motors in Washington, PA, and was bought by my father in the fall of 1999. When he tired of her in 2002, I bought the car from him over Christmas break during my sophomore year of college. She has since lived with me in Ada, OH, Decatur, GA, and now resides in West Newton, PA.

Among those 150,000 miles are trips back and forth to college in Ada and seminary in Decatur. My car has taken day trips for ballgames in Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Detroit. She's made spontaneous trips to Miami, OH. She's seen where my grandmother lives in Florida. She's been to New Hampshire. She's traveled to Hilton Head a couple times. She even made it as far west as St. Louis once. She's endured the chill and salt of northern winters and the wilting heat of southern summers. And she's still going.

I congratulate you, 1999 blue Nissan Maxima (or "Julie", as I've often called you), on this historic accomplishment. We've made it this far. Let's go for 200,000. At the mileage pace I'm going right now, the next 50K might take us 8-10 years. But I think we can do it. Whaddya say? 200K or bust. I just pray that it's 200K that comes before bust.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't encountered such a profundity of vehicular romance since "Christine!"

    Or perhaps "Knight Rider!"

    ReplyDelete