Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Governor's Mistake

Following the Steelers' Super Bowl win, PA Governor Ed Rendell asked fans to submit essays (less than 250 words) on why they love the Steelers. The "best" essay would win a trip for two to Arizona, and four runners-up would win tickets to a 2009 Steelers home game. I put "best" in quotes because I'm not sure the winning essays were the best. The grand prize winner's essay was good. I have no problem giving him the trip to AZ. Some of the runners-up ones were awful, or merely ordinary. Read the winning essays and decide for yourself. The first runner-up had several grammatical errors and typos. Most of them were along the lines of, "I love the Steelers because my dad worked in the coal mines or in the steel mills and they represent our family's blue-collar work ethic," or "I love the Steelers because it's more than just a hobby -- I live for Steelers football." Out of the 1,300 submitted essays, I'm willing to bet at least 1,000 were centered on one or both of those premises.

I submitted an essay. And because I'm arrogant when it comes to my writing, I think my essay is pretty well-written, and the content is somewhat original. I'm not saying it was good enough to win, but it was better than most of the runner-up winners. I have decided to share it with you not because I believe an injustice has been perpetrated against me (it has), but because I am proud of my essay and proud of the stories it contains. Without further ado, my essay on why I love the Steelers:

Like many residents of Western Pennsylvania, my love for the Steelers is a family affair. My father, who was born as a Dutch citizen, moved to the United States in 1964 at the age of 10, settling in Pittsburgh. My grandfather sought to help my father fit in better at school. So they started watching American football. Through the 1960’s, the Steelers were awful, but they supported the team anyway. Through the Steelers, they taught themselves about football as well as Pittsburgh’s culture, helping them connect with neighbors, co-workers, and classmates. While working towards U.S. citizenship, my father also attained citizenship in Steeler Nation.

When I was born, I also became a citizen of Steeler Nation. The love for the Steelers my father passed down to me eventually helped me start my own family. While attending college in Ohio, my support of the Steelers grew as it faced opposition from Browns and Bengals fans. My sophomore year, a freshman and fellow Pittsburgher named Lisa arrived on campus. The first question Lisa asked her R.A. as she moved in was, “Who can I watch Steelers games with here?” Immediately, Lisa and I were introduced. Six and a half years later, Lisa and I are married and living in Western Pennsylvania.

I love the way the Steelers allow immigrants to connect with new neighbors. I love the way they bring families together on Sunday afternoons. And I love the way they create new families. How can anyone not love the Pittsburgh Steelers?

No comments:

Post a Comment