Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Daily Lenten Devotion 3/25

“So I went down to the potter’s house, and there he was working at his wheel. The vessel he was making of clay was spoiled in the potter’s hand, and he reworked it into another vessel, as seemed good to him. Then the word of the Lord came to me: Can I not do with you, O house of Israel, just as this potter has done? says the Lord. Just like the clay in the potter’s hand, so are you in my hand, O house of Israel.” – Jeremiah 18:3-6

As some of you already know, today is my birthday. On such a day, I am caught up reflecting on the purpose God has laid out for me. For what has God created me? What life has he prepared and laid out ahead of me? Will I fulfill that purpose and that life to which God calls me?

Seeing as I’m human, I’m sure that at times I’m no more than spoiled clay in God’s hands. God tries to mold me after his will, but sometimes God isn’t able to make me into the vessel I’m supposed to be. Maybe I’m refusing to move how God wants me to. Maybe I’m too hard and inflexible. Maybe I’m too soft and impressionable. Or maybe I’m just a lump of spoiled clay, full of so many imperfections that I’m doomed to be tossed in the trash.

Not yet. God does not discard spoiled lumps of clay that easily. I am confident that God will continue to work on me and work with me, until I am the vessel God wants me to be. God will mold me and make me after his will, so that I may live out the way that has been prepared for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment