Friday, March 6, 2009

Daily Lenten Devotion for 3/6

"But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. They will mount up with wings as eagles. They will run and not grow weary; they will walk and not faint." -- Isaiah 40:31

This verse was my favorite verse as a child. I always liked the imagery of us being eagles, and God lifting us up. I liked the idea of perseverance in the face of struggle. I was always one of the smallest guys around as a kid, so what I lacked in strength I had to make up for with my grit and endurance. I took hold of this verse as a rallying cry; nothing would ever keep me down.

Now, this verse takes on new meaning. As I mentioned in my last post, I've been having some pretty exhausting weeks lately -- long hours physically draining me, the work itself draining me emotionally. I feel like I have very little strength left. All I want to do is veg out for a week, or a day, or even an hour.

But, they that wait upon the Lord have renewed strength. God gives us strength when we have none left ourselves. This doesn't mean I don't need to rest at all. What it means is that God has given me strength by the movement of the Holy Spirit within me during these last couple days. At times when I thought I really would pass out if I had to walk, God renewed my strength. At times, I wanted to stop running because I was growing weary, but God renewed my strength.

We are merely human, and we can only do so much before crashing. But when we don't have time to crash, we know that God will renew our strength just enough to get us through to our Sabbath-keeping. Don't try to be a superhero. Let God renew your strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment