Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Daily Lenten Devotion for 4/1

“No one takes it from me, but I lay [my life] down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my father.” – John 10:18

In this morning’s gospel lesson, Jesus compares himself to a shepherd. Unlike some hired hand that doesn’t care about the flock, Jesus is the shepherd that loves the flock so much that he is willing to lay his life down when the wolf threatens the helpless sheep.

Jesus is the shepherd, and we are the helpless sheep. And Jesus lays down his life to save us. But he wants us to know one thing: he has a choice. He could act like a hired hand, running away at the first sign of trouble, protecting himself and leaving the sheep to fend for themselves. But on his own accord, he chooses to stay. He decides to love us even unto death.

Jesus does have the choice to turn his back on us. But he doesn’t. He stays and suffers with us, suffers for us. Let us be thankful for a Savior who loves us enough to stick with us when the wolf is breathing down our neck.

No comments:

Post a Comment