Thursday, April 2, 2009

Daily Lenten Devotion for 4/2

“Then [the other criminal] said, ‘Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.’” – Luke 23:42

Earlier this morning I got online to check my Facebook page. For those of you that don’t know, Facebook is a social networking site popular among youth, young adults, and our bishop. On my computer, I usually don’t have to sign in, because as with any website I visit often, I click the box that says “Remember me.” It’s a way of saving my username and password so I don’t have to go through the hassle of typing them in every time I want to visit Facebook.

Anyone familiar with the internet probably does this with websites they visit often. But every once in awhile, for one reason or another, you have to sign in again. And it’s a nuisance to do so.

Throughout Lent this year, our congregation has closed worship by singing the following refrain: “Jesus, remember me, when you come into your kingdom. Jesus, remember me, when you come into your kingdom.” This refrain, #488 in the UMH, is a song from the Taize community in France.

I suspect that if we are to enter the kingdom of heaven, we should be “signing in” or “logging in” to our relationship with Jesus Christ at least as often as we do so with our e-mail or our Facebook page. If the kingdom of heaven was a website, hopefully we’d be visiting it enough to warrant checking the “Remember my password” box.

Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment