Wednesday, February 2, 2011

SB XLV Devotion 3: Tradition

Read Joshua 24:1-28
“…but as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” – Josh. 24:15

Beginning at my birth, my parents formed me in a great tradition. They taught me the old stories, sang the old songs to me, and when it was time for me to claim membership in the tradition for myself at age 14, I was handed the one thing every Steelers fan needs: a Terrible Towel.

That’s how we raise ‘em in Western PA. You’re born into a tradition that dates back to 1933, one that includes stories of struggle, pain, and loss as well as stories of triumph and great joy. An Immaculate Reception signaled the beginning of a new era, a sign that despite all the miserable history of the first 39 years, God still cares about the Steelers.

Meet anyone who grew up in Pittsburgh, and chances are they own a Terrible Towel, wear a jersey on game day, and know every last word to the Pittsburgh Steelers Polka. We not only teach our young ones about the Steelers tradition, but we allow that family tradition to shape them as well. By the time they are adults, they will be able to practice their fandom anywhere, as the Steeler Nation is connectional in nature – Steeler bars exist in all 50 states and many foreign countries.

What if we had the same fervor for passing on the Christian tradition? My parents did. Sure, you couldn’t “skip” watching the Steelers games in my house, but you couldn’t skip church either. By the time I was a teenager, I could sing many hymns by heart, just as I could with the Steelers Polka. And just as I was taught to follow the Steelers year-round with daily reading of the newspaper, I was taught to study scripture with even greater devotion.

I don’t mean to say that we should indoctrinate our children, with football rooting interests or religion. But we do have a responsibility in Christian communities to collectively form children in the Christian tradition. We’ve been given a great gift from our ancestors, which we now pass on to those in the community who will follow. That promise is one we make in the sacrament of baptism – that the child will be taught the Christian faith until he or she is old enough to make their own decision. And if they choose to be a 49ers fan or a Buddhist, then so be it, even if it disappoints us that they did not choose the tradition we handed down.

The same hospital in which I was born now drapes a Terrible Towel over every newborn baby. Are we draping our little ones in Christ as well? Are we singing them the songs, teaching them the stories, and encouraging them to develop a passion for following Jesus Christ? Handing down a tradition and encouraging a passion for anything in life takes a lot of work. But it is what we are called to do, both as Steelers fans and Christians.

No comments:

Post a Comment