Friday, February 4, 2011

SB XLV Devotion 5: On the Road

Read Psalm 34
“O magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt his name together.” – Psalm 34:3

Whenever Lisa and I are away from home and the Steelers are playing a game, we do everything we can to rearrange our schedule and find a place to watch. This year, we saw one game in Myrtle Beach, rushed back to Pittsburgh for another, and were disappointed when our New Year’s cruise did not televise the Steelers game. We love watching our Steelers every week, and really hate missing even one game every season.

Three members of our congregation are traveling to Texas this weekend to attend the Super Bowl. I wonder if they’ll put forth the same effort to seek out a church for worship on Sunday. I wonder if I’d put forth the effort, or whether I’d skip a week of worship too.

When we travel, we alter our schedule to make sure we still have time for what’s important to us. Is worship one of those things? I’ll admit that sometimes it isn’t part of my travel plans when I’m away over a Sunday. But it should be – not because God will punish me if I don’t attend, but because I’m called to worship God on a regular basis. It’s not about whether we want to worship or whether we’ll enjoy it. Surely those things will be regularly present as well, but not always. Sometimes, on vacation, when the evening plans are the only thing on our mind, we ought to take an hour to attend to our worship life first.

No matter where you’re reading this, in North Texas or elsewhere, and wish to find a United Methodist Church in which to worship, remember that you can always visit www.find-a-church.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment