Monday, October 6, 2008

Bishop White in the House

Last night, Lisa and I traveled to First UMC of Pittsburgh for a celebration of the 40th anniversary of the General Commission on Religion and Race. Quick history lesson for those who aren't Metho-dorks like me (Lance, Ogle, and Jill, you can skip this part):

In 1968, the Methodist Episcopal Church (MEC) in the United States was divided into 5 regional jurisdictions and one racial jurisdiction (the Central Jurisdiction). Thus, we were a segregated church, with 5 essentially "white" jurisdictions and one jurisdiction of all the African-American churches. That year, the MEC and the Evangelical United Brethren Church (EUB) were talking merger, but the EUB's did not want to merge with a segregated denomination such as the MEC. There had been talk of desegregating our church, but many leaders (in both "North" and "South", mind you) kept dragging their feet on the issue. The merger with the EUB forced the issue, and we desegregated our church (in 1968!!!) by eliminating the Central Jurisdiction and reassigning the CJ churches into the existing regional jurisdictions.

Naturally, many leaders in the Central Jurisdiction feared that the elimination of their jurisdiction would diminish their voice and leadership capability in the denomination. As one way to give racial and ethnic minorities a powerful voice and maintain a high level of leadership in the denomination, the General Commission on Religion and Race was formed. The purpose of the GCORR, as stated on their Web site, is "to challenge and help the denomination’s agencies, institutions, annual (regional) conferences and congregations to achieve full, equal participation of its racial and ethnic minority constituencies in the total life and mission of the Church. The Commission strives to accomplish this task through education and advocacy and by reviewing, monitoring and supporting The United Methodist Church’s efforts to ensure racial inclusiveness and foster racial justice and reconciliation."

Now, 40 years later, we celebrate the work this Commission has done and anticipate the work it has yet to do as we struggle to become the fully inclusive church God commissioned us to be. Our service last night featured retired Bishop Woodie White, who is currently the bishop-in-residence at Candler. I had him last semester for a class on the Methodist Church and Race, and have heard him preach numerous times. And let me tell you: last night, Bishop White "brought the Word!", as we used to say at Candler after hearing any exceptional sermon.

It was a joyous occasion, one where I was able to hear one of my favorite preachers, reminisce on my journey at Candler, and worship with clergy and laity in my own conference. It was the first real "blending" of my two church lives: Candler and Western PA Conference. It reminded me of how blessed I am to have my life touched by Woodie White over the last few years, and how blessed I am to be surrounded by "so great a cloud of witnesses" in my own conference who constantly ask about how my ministry is going and offer their prayers for me and Lisa. More importantly, I am blessed to have these brothers and sisters here at home who share in the struggle for justice in all forms as we boldly step into the future.

Bishop White is awesome. There, I said it. He is a great preacher, wise professor, and just a swell guy, if I may say so. But you know why he's really awesome? Because Bishop White has the courage and the passion to serve our God, who is truly an Awesome God. And for this reason, we have hope for the future.

And for those of you wondering, of course this service was over well in time for us all to get home to watch the Steelers game. Ye of little faith, why did you doubt?

1 comment: