Saturday, October 25, 2008

Token Young Guy

On Thursday, it happened again. In the first meeting of a new district clergy covenant group of sorts, I was told I would be the "young voice" in the discussions. Since I'm the only person under age 40 in this group of 10 clergy, my purpose was made clear up front: to speak the perspective of youth and young adults.

The comment was meant in a positive way, but it didn't sit well with me. In these first few months of being the youngest clergy in our conference, I've been asked to speak for the younger generations. I, as one person, am constantly expected to represent a wide group of people. I often feel like the "token young guy" in groups, and it really frustrates me.

I may be a young adult, and I may have a different perspective on certain things because of this, but my age is not all that defines me. Yes, I am young, but I wish that sometimes I could just be asked my opinion as a clergyperson, not a young clergyperson.

This is not a criticism of those who look at me this way as much as it is a criticism of the way we tend to look at things. We often think diversity can be achieved if we get "token" representatives from interest groups, as long as the representatives successfully present their interest group's viewpoint. There are positive aspects to this, but we must be careful not to assume that any group of people can be said to have one unified world view. I am a young clergyperson, but I cannot speak for all young clergy. I can only speak for myself, and I hope to be treated as an individual, not a spokesperson for an entire generation of people.

1 comment:

  1. Hold up. You mean, you're not going to speak for me? I was really hoping you'd speak for me at the DCOM interviews! Just kidding. I hear you. Have a good week, Erik!

    ReplyDelete