Wednesday, October 1, 2008

World Communion Sunday

This Sunday is World Communion Sunday. That means our church will celebrate, along with other churches around the world, the interconnectedness of Christ's church. We will commune in our small town church as one body, but we will also commune with our brothers and sisters around the world, figuratively gathering around one table, breaking one loaf, and drinking from one cup of blessing. In honor of World Communion Sunday, I have decorated the altar with items from many countries around the world. These are all items that Lisa or I have obtained from our own travels or the travels of our friends and family. I also have multiple lapel pins representing countries from around the world -- most of them from my childhood journeys through Disney World's Epcot Center -- that I plan to wear pinned to my robe. Finally, I will use the modified liturgy found in the UM Book of Worship that was written for just such an occasion.

Our church only celebrates the sacrament of the Lord's Supper about 3-4 times a year, but I would love to move us toward more frequent communion, as per Wesley's and the UMC's request. Since we're not there yet, this Sunday will be only the second time I will preside over communion. Those who know me won't be surprised to hear that I have been eagerly anticipating this Sunday's service. All week, I've been walking around with an extra bounce in my step. The mere prospect of a communion Sunday is enough to lift my spirits for an entire week! But what is it about communion that gets me going?

Maybe it's the beauty and comfort of the communion liturgy, which has remained relatively unchanged for almost two milennia. Maybe it's the multiple meanings that communion holds for us as Christians: thanksgiving, community, remembrance of Christ's mighty acts, sacrifice, life-giving action of the Holy Spirit, and hope for the coming of Christ's kingdom. Maybe it's the chance to preside over such a sacred act in the life of the church, serving the body and blood of Christ to the body of Christ as its members kneel at the throne of grace. More than likely, it's all of these things.

The last reason, the responsibility and authority that has been bestowed on me to preside, has tremendous meaning for me as a pastor. Not just anyone can preside over the Lord's Supper, which at times seems harsh, but reminds us of the nature of clergy as "set apart." By "set apart", I do not mean this to be elitist or self-righteous, but humbly called by God to do the work of the church, including the administering of sacraments. Presiding over the table reminds me of my own call to ordained ministry. It humbles me because I know that I am terribly unqualified to serve in this capacity. It brings me to tears because in the moment of administering this sacrament, I feel more sure than at any other moment that I am called by God to dedicate my life to ordained ministry in the United Methodist Church.

For everyone, communion is meant to be an uplifting event in the life of the church. It reminds us of why we believe what we do, it centers us on the meaning of Christ's life and actions, and it connects us with the God who unites us all. It gives us a purpose for living, a purpose for loving, a purpose for serving. If we allow it, the sacrament of the Lord's Supper will provide us with an extra bounce in our step for a few weeks, days, hours, maybe even just minutes. May this be so in your life on this Sunday morning as we remember that "we, though many, throughout the earth, we are one body in this one, Lord."

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this, Erik! I feel the same way you do when I get to preside over the elements. The pastor I work with unfortunately does not usually do the traditional liturgy. So...sometimes when he feels that he'd like to have that in the service, he asks me to preside :) If only everyone shared our appreciation for Holy Communion and its liturgy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do what I did: force monthly communion on them whether they like it or not.

    ReplyDelete